Skip to main content

3 Ham Antennas You Can Start Homebrewing For Spring

 I have 3 Ham Antennas I am planning for this Spring. They would be the Moxon, Quad and Yagi Ham Antenna. The question is what material should I make them out of. Well my decision is electrical pvc conduit pipe for 2 meter or 6 meter Ham Antennas. I have seen a 20 meter Ham Antenna built out of pvc and fiberglass spreaders that were electrical farm posts. Some of my plans include using the fiberglass driveway markers, because they are not too heavy and fairly strong, but mostly cheap.
 Now for larger ham radio antennas I would probably go with aluminum tubing. Be aware that as you go larger the more aluminum tubing you will need and the more costly the antenna will become. Moxon Ham Antennas can be made out of a variety of products. For example the spreaders can be made from crappie fishing antennas and maybe some aluminum square tubing. The connectors can be the square block saddle clamps that can be purchased from dx engineering. Another important fact to remember is the higher the frequency, the bigger the antenna will be. So plan your homebrew ham antennas wisely, poor choices spell disaster.
 Two other items to consider are what are you mounting this beast on and what will you turn it with. Small arrays for 6 meter and two meter can be easily turned with a small rotor. If you are building something say in the 20, 40 or 80 meter band, you will need a heavy duty ham antenna rotor. My advise is search on the internet and through youtube. This way you can get all kinds of ideas to implement into your ham antenna homebrew project for this spring.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Time For Your Ham Radio License

Yes once again it's time to study for your Ham Radio License. There are some good study manuals and books that make it pretty easy to learn. It does not matter whether you are going for your first Technician License, 2nd General License or the Final Extra License. Either way all it takes is some of your time studying and then go and take the test. There are plenty of places to take the amateur radio license tests. The two most common that I have found are at your local college or at your local Ham Fest.
 I remember going to the local hamfest and taking my Technician Test and passed it. Yes I was a little nervous not knowing what to expect. What I did find is that it was filled with very friendly and interesting people. My second test which was the General was taken at our local college. Once again it was filled with some very friendly and helpful ham radio operators. I am going to start studying for the extra ham radio license pretty soon. Hopefully my background in electronics a…

Amateur Radio Advise

If you are a amateur radio operator in the ham radio hobby, you most likely have a ham shack. Most of us Hams including me love to add things to the shack when we can. Now these things do not have to be brand new. In fact there are many good deals on Ham Radio Gear At Ebay. I browse over the ham gear at ebay all the time and I can not believe all the cool stuff I see. I just have to make sure I have saved up my pennies and I check the seller for any negative reviews.
 If you are not a ham yet, but want to be one the first thing is to get your ham radio license. I would study for your technician license and then study for the general license. If you choose to go for the extra license I say go for it. Each license has their own advantages as to where you can transmit. After you have your license or before that start building your ham shack. A ham radio transceiver, dipole antenna, power supply, antenna tuner and a swr meter will do.

3 Ham Radio Licenses To Be Able To Transmit Legally

You can buy a Ham Radio and listen without a ham radio license. If however you want to transmit on a given band or frequency you will need the proper ham radio license. There are many websites on the internet where you can download study material or download a program to study from. I myself had some older books and also used the material off the internet to do my studying. My honest advise is to purchase the books and the cd program for your computer. If you can go to one of the ham radio classes in your area I would advise that also.
 There are 3 Ham Radio Licenses that you will need to transmit on various bands. I will list them below.
The Technician The GeneralThe Extra  You may find that most Hams only go up to the General License as it provides the opportunity to transmit on most of the high frequency bands such as the 20 meter, 40 meter, 80 meter and 160 meter bands. There are portions that you can not transmit on only if you have the Extra Ham License. I myself hav…